Thursday, March 27, 2008

Women's fiction

I know, I know, where have I been this week?

Well, spring break has sprung, and with it comes the never-ending blooms and blossoms of subs. More than 30 rejects on chapter subs out today, yet my updated list leaves me with 45 going into the weekend (not much of a dent there lol).

Too cold and chilly to be considered spring for me (snow today, 70 degrees yesterday, welcome to Colorado, my little beasties). Speaking of beasties, I've had one of mine with me all week and, although he makes for a good assistant, I have been growing further and further behind in my reading.

We don't advertise that we take on women's fiction, but we do currently represent a women's fiction mystery. I'm also reading a new project from another client, a literary piece that would be considered women's supernatural. Not romance, but a love story nonetheless. A nice and moody look into how both the living and the dead cope with losing their true love.

Thought I'd take a brief minute to discuss women's fiction, and why we spout NO ROMANCE, yet represent women's fiction. Well, the simplest answer is that there's a big difference between women's fiction and romance. Yeah, I'm a girl, but I just can't get into the sensual stuff, or the formulaic Harlequiny tough girl in distress fights off advances of hunky man, then he proposes at the end of the book. What I like is a story where the romance comes from a different angle, or something more realistic. I don't want to read how her body burns at his touch. Too predictable, I say.

I usually go for the darker stories that involve romance, although I readily admit to enjoying Janet Evanovich's Stephanie Plum books.

So is there a difference? Yep, yep, and yep. Romance is, well, romance. Women's fiction doesn't necessarily have to deal with romance. It could tell a story of her relationship with friends, a journey to self discovery, anything a woman might deal with. New York Times Bestselling Author Nora Roberts says it best: "Women's Fiction is a story that centers on a woman or on primarily women's issues, not necessarily the romantic relationship based books I do, but the woman's story."

And women's fiction doesn't have to be written by a woman to sell well. Ever heard of a guy named Nicholas Sparks?

So, send in the women's fiction if you'd like, just don't get too sappy on me. Stay literate;)

1 comment:

Udaya said...

I always knew about the benefits of viral marketing, but never found the courage to write an e-book. The problem is that many e-books are useless.But my idea has been changed with this book First lady president which is amazing.It is a story of how such a figure might emerge as the first ever serious female candidate in a U.S. presidential election, How could her election possibly affect the political scenario in the Indian subcontinent, and how could Americans of Indian ethnicity get involved in her election process.